The then MOUNTAIN PROVINCE GENERAL HOSPITAL, Abatan, Bauko, Mountain Province came into existence by virtue of the approval on June 22, 1957 of the Republic Act 1806 – “An Act providing for the establishment of Mountain Province General Hospital in the municipality of Kayan (now Tadian), Mountain Province, and authorizing the appropriate funds thereof, then initiated by the late Congressman Luis Hora with the concurrence of the 3 mayors of Sabangan, Bauko, & Tadian.
Shortly after the passage of Republic Act 1806, the Bureau of Forestry and the Department signed a formal lease contract stipulating therein the lease of about 7.1 hectares of the public land situated at Abatan, Bauko, Mountain Province, renewable after twenty five (25) years starting in 1962 at one peso (P1.00) rent per year. The constructions of facilities were done in phases. Construction of a portion of the main hospital building, the doctor’s quarter, and the dormitory started immediately thereafter and as soon as the operating room, delivery room, emergency room and an outpatient section were finished, the Secretary of Health directed by Dr. Rosario A. Quitiquit, then chief of hospital of the nearby Bessang Pass Memorial Hospital, Cervantes, Ilocos Sur, to organize the hospital in December 1963. On February 12, 1964, with Dr. Quitiquit appointed as Chief of Hospital, the hospital started to serve the public with an appropriation of merely TWO HUNDRED TWENTY NINE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED TWENTY EIGHT (P229, 128.00) PESOS.
A T-shaped concrete hospital main building was finally constructed in 1977. With the increasing number of patient being attended to then, the bed capacity was increased from 50 to 75 beds. An additional wing was added in 1989 and the hospital complex now resembles the letter “H”, top view.